Walmart recognizes their 31st anniversary of supporting Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals (CMN) through store campaigns and fundraising events. CMN reports Walmart is on track to become the first CMN corporate sponsor to reach $1 billion in funds raised.
Creative fundraising tools such as contests, auctions, potlucks, and family events are implemented by the associates, who build strong relationships in their communities and with the local CMN hospital. The funds contributed in 2017 in the U.S. and Canada totaled more than $60 million.
The 2018 U.S. campaign ran from August 27 to September 30. Walmart and Sam’s Club funds help hospitals pay for charity care, equipment, research, and health education and prevention. Of the $49.9 million raised in the US:
- $8.4 million helped pay for charitable care. 48% of kids in the US don’t have adequate health care. Walmart donations help ensure children are not turned away
- $10.9 million helped pay for the life-saving equipment needed in CMN Hospitals to give each child the best care possible
- $8.4 million helps fund research that is saving the lives of the 2,218 kids a day treated for cancer at CMN hospitals
- $3.9 million provides education for families on healthy living and injury prevention to help keep kids out of the hospital. Injuries are the #1 killer of children in the US
- $7.4 million provides special services such as art therapy and healing gardens to help children cope with the stress and anxiety of hospitalization
- $10.4 million helps hospitals meet custom needs of patients and families by providing facility updates or help with non-medical expenses such as gas cards or hygiene kits for overnight stays